The Jones House was a four-story brick hotel that occupied the southeastern corner of Market Square. It was the premier hotel of Harrisburg during the Civil War. Lincoln briefly stayed at the hotel on the way to his inauguration in 1861. Other visitors of note to the Jones House were President Andrew Johnson, General U. S. Grant and Admiral David Farragut. Government paymasters stayed at the hotel, and it was a focal point during the Pay Riots of July 1861 when ninety-day troops gathered to protest the less than prompt payment of their final pay before being mustered out of service. Later it was called the "Leland Hotel" and then the "Commonwealth Hotel" before being demolished. Today, the Lincoln visit and the Jones House are commemorated by a Pennsylvania Historical and Museum Commission historical marker and a City of Harrisburg sidewalk interpretive exhibit.