The Peter Wentz Farmstead was established in 1744 by Peter and Rosanna Wentz and by 1758 they had completed the Georgian style stone house with many architectural features that reflected their German heritage including distinctive interior paint decoration throughout. The farm served as headquarters for General George Washington, where Washington planned his attempt to keep the British forces from occupying Philadelphia that resulted in the Battle of Germantown on October 4, 1777. In 1794, Melchior Schultz, a minister of the Schwenkfelder faith, purchased the farm and his descendants continued to live and farm here until 1969 when it was purchased by Montgomery County, restored and then refurnished to reflect its appearance at the time of the American Revolution. Special events and exhibits representing Pennsylvania German culture and early American farm life take place throughout the year with featuring the 18th century German kitchen garden, farm animals and a gift shop.
Facility Amenities: ADA-compliant, Bus Parking, Gift Shop, Guided Tours, Handicapped Access
General Information: Dates Closed: Mondays, Hours: Tues. - Sat. 10 a.m. - 4 p.m. and Sun. 1 - 4 p.m. (last tour 3:30 p.m.)