Rich with verdant state forest land, glistening lakes and rivers, and stunning natural attractions like the Pennsylvania Grand Canyon, Potter and Tioga counties in northern Pennsylvania are worthy destinations for all types of adventurers. Enhance your getaway to Wellsboro, Coudersport, and other charming communities with one of the following experiences.
1. Bike the Pine Creek Rail Trail.
Pedal through the majestic Pine Creek Gorge — known as the Pennsylvania Grand Canyon — on the Pine Creek Rail Trail, which travels through the bottom of the landmark. Pine Creek Outfitters in Wellsboro offers bicycle rentals and a shuttle service for convenient pick up/drop off.
2. Explore Leonard Harrison State Park on the Pennsylvania Grand Canyon’s east rim.
Take in some of the most beautiful panoramas of the gorge from the main overlook at Leonard Harrison State Park. Stop by the visitor center and gift shop, and get your heart pumping on the challenging—yet short—Overlook Trail.
3. Discover stellar hiking opportunities from the canyon’s west rim at Colton Point State Park
The easy Rim Trail at Colton Point State Park is great for families, linking all the overlook viewing areas, while the difficult Turkey Path Trail is ideal for seasoned hikers and offers a view of a 70-foot waterfall.
4. Book an unforgettable guided Pennsylvania Grand Canyon tour.
Ole Covered Wagon Tours offers two-hour covered wagon excursions that travel into the heart of the canyon and include insight into the area’s history. Choose the four-hour waterfall tour on Wednesdays to add a waterfall stop to your ride.
5. Embark on a Pennsylvania whitewater-rafting adventure on Pine Creek’s class II and III rapids.
Wellsboro’s Canyon Cruises offers guided trips through the canyon that include cool perks like waterfall hikes, wildlife watching, and hearty lunches.
6. Survey calmer waters on a stand-up paddleboard.
Crooked Roots Adventures in Gaines will set you up with everything you need to get out on the lake or give you a paddling lesson followed by a one- to two-hour guided float.
7. Experience the area’s dense woodlands, sprawling meadows, and peaceful rivers on horseback.
Tioga and Potter county’s bucolic landscapes are even more breathtaking with a horse in frame. Tioga Trail Rides near Wellsboro and Summit Trail Rides in Coudersport boast an array of rides for all abilities.
8. Stargaze at Pennsylvania’s only Gold Level International Dark-Sky Park at Cherry Springs State Park.
9. Enjoy a guided rock-climbing trip at Asaph Wild Area.
Ascend large sandstone rocks amid lush forests under the wing of a rock-climbing pro from Pine Creek Outfitters. Full-day trips include climbing gear, instruction, and lunch.
10. Fly-fish at Rainbow Paradise Trout Farm and Fishing Park in Coudersport.
Multiple ponds are stocked with thousands of trout — guaranteeing that you’ll bag a catch. Rods are available for rental, and fishing licenses are not required.
Get even more trip ideas in Potter and Tioga counties.