The German Society of Pennsylvania, founded in 1764, is the oldest German-American cultural institution in the US. It was founded with the primary purpose of aiding immigrants who came to our shores for religious freedom and a better life. It was especially important to the early founders that these immigrants did not become indentured workers or servants. The service aspect remained a key component of the Society activities through the 19th century. With fewer immigrants presently coming to our country, the Society is a membership driven organization with an emphasis on German cultural activities. The home of the Society has been in its possession for over 120 years. The building is on the National Register of Historic Places. In it, there is a concert hall with world-renowned acoustics, the largest, private German-American Library and Archives with 70,000 volumes, two language classrooms/conference rooms and an old-world-style Ratskeller.